Department Humanities and Sciences
Reports to Department Chair
The Humanities & Sciences Department at Cornish College of the Arts invites applications for a faculty position in the social sciences at the rank of Assistant or Associate Professor. Fields and areas of specialization are open. Faculty teach a typical load of three 3 credit-hour courses per semester, including teaching in Cornish’s First-Year Programs and offering upper-division courses for both performing and visual arts students. The Humanities & Sciences Department provides the core curriculum for all Cornish students and candidates should be comfortable teaching a wide range of courses, including courses outside their areas of specialization. All baccalaureate degree candidates complete a total of 30 credit hours in HS courses, including college writing requirements, and humanities, science, and social sciences coursework.
As a college dedicated to providing students aspiring to become artists with an educational program of the highest quality, faculty help to foster a student-centered environment that nurtures creativity and intellectual curiosity, while preparing students to contribute to society as artists, citizens, and innovators. Candidates should have an interest in the arts and a devotion to liberal arts education. Candidates should also provide evidence of effective, rigorous and reflective teaching practices, proficiency with a wide range of pedagogical techniques, and commitment to diversity and inclusion. Faculty should exhibit flexibility and adaptability and be able to work collaboratively with faculty, staff, and students across campus. Successful candidates will be expected to participate in curriculum development, program assessment, student mentoring, departmental and college service, and ongoing scholarship.
The Humanities and Sciences Department is one of the divisions of Cornish College of the Arts, a four-year arts college offering BFA degrees in Design, Film, Fine Art, Interior Architecture, Theater, Performance Production and Dance, as well as a Bachelor of Music. All students are required to complete thirty credit hours in liberal arts studies. Cornish College of the Arts is a Collective Bargaining institution. Our Faculty CBA can be found on our website and referenced for salary ranges. This role must be available to teach in the late afternoon and evening.
1. Teaches 18 credit hours in the social sciences and multi-disciplinary, integrated first-year courses during the year.
2. Provides consultation and support in curriculum planning and design, as well as in the hiring of part-time instructors, particularly for the social science curriculum.
3. Participates in institutional service at the college and departmental level, including:
• departmental faculty meetings and retreats
• departmental committees
• curriculum development
• the development and implementation of program assessment and creation of learning outcomes
• student mentoring
• shared governance, such as membership in one or more major campus-wide Faculty Senate committees
4. Engages in professional development
5. Deliver instruction
6. Contribute to development of curriculum
7. Assess student learning
8. Contributes to establishing and promoting welcoming, inclusive, and diverse learning environments
• A PhD degree in the social sciences
• Experience teaching undergraduate courses in a higher education institution
• An interest in working for a college with a primary commitment to teaching
• Ability to design and teach a wide range of courses
• Effective, rigorous, and reflective teaching practice and proficiency with a range of pedagogical techniques
• Demonstrated ability to work closely and compatibly with a diverse student body, faculty, staff and other colleagues
• An understanding of general education and the liberal arts
• The ability to contribute to curriculum planning in the general liberal arts
• An interest in the arts
• A commitment to inclusivity and diversity
• A sense of humor
• Experience working in a first-year program (or with first-year students) in writing-intensive classes
• Experience in teaching research and writing
• Experience working with students with diverse learning needs
• Experience developing and teaching hybrid or online courses
• Experience with service-learning curriculum
• Knowledge of current pedagogical theories and practices
• Experience working with writing center, student services, and library staff to support student success and achievement
• Ability to teach basic quantitative as well as qualitative research skills
• Experience with collaborative curriculum planning
If you are interested in applying for this position, please submit the following via email to firstname.lastname@example.org :
1) Cover Letter
2) Statement of your teaching philosophy (1 page)
3) Diversity Statement. We would like to know more about your experience with diversity and inclusion, race and equity, and social justice. Please tell us about your experience teaching, engaging and working with diverse communities (1 page)
4) Current CV/Resume
5) Cornish College Employment Application
Please submit all materials by January 2, 2018.
Cornish College of the Arts is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against persons based on race, religion, color, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, gender, gender identity, marital status, medical condition, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, political affiliation or covered veteran status. Cornish is intent on creating an enriching environment that is open to anyone looking to become members of its faculty, staff, and student body. Our goal is to create an intercultural learning environment comprised of varied experiences and perspectives.
Fine Arts Teaching Artist Assistant (Part Time) Fine Arts Teaching Artist Assistant (Part Time) The Children’s Museum of the Arts...Apply For This Job
Good Afternoon ~ Film Independent is hiring for the following position. Interested candidates should send cover letter, resume, salary history...Apply For This Job
A full-time position is available in the Education Department as the Coordinator of School and Educator Programs at the Whitney...Apply For This Job