Reports to Department:Chair
The Design program provides a platform for students to explore and apply cross-disciplinary perspectives and applications to their project research and practice. The UX Design Instructor will work with H&S Instructors and Critical and Contextual Studies Instructors. This role will involve teaching delivery over the 9 month academic year. The UX Design Instructor will participate in the development, planning and organization of the program as a whole, as will serve on committees and groups as determined by the Chair. This role will work in collaboration with other instructors, and consultation with the Design department Chair. Cornish College of the Arts is a Collective Bargaining institution. Our Faculty CBA can be found on our website and referenced for salary ranges.
Mission of The Program
Create an integrated and immersive educational experience embedding concepts and skills with humanities, sciences, critical & historical studies in order to foster the development of a holistic and sustained practice.The program is an integrated learning community with faculty from the departments of Design and Humanities & Sciences working together to provide students with research-led, and project-based learning. A range of practice and skills will be represented to offer students an experience in which discipline assumptions are exposed, explored, and questioned. The studio instructors will teach six consecutive five-week modules, drawing on their subject perspectives in relationship to the unit themes. Alongside practice instruction in the studio and technical workshops in the labs, students will engage in critical and historical studies, starting the contextual process of “situating practice”. Learning outcomes to be addressed include cross-discipline-based knowledge and understanding, applied knowledge and understanding, cognitive skills including evaluation and critical analysis, writing and communication skills, digital literacy, and autonomy, accountability, and working with others.
• To be responsible for the day-to-day teaching of the UX Design studio component of the Design department and contribute to it’s strategic and academic development.
• To be responsible, under the direction of the department Chair for the assessment of students in their studio module and the development of teaching and learning strategies appropriate to the nature of the program of study.
• To contribute to the curriculum development of the studio component and ensure the continuous improvement of the quality, effectiveness and efficiency of the program.
• To deliver a learning experience that offers intellectual, practical and technical experiences, illuminating connections across disciplines.
• To teach six consecutive modules throughout the year (3 per semester) that respond to the identified unit themes.
• To ensure that the College’s policies, procedures and regulations in terms of induction, health and safety and conduct are fully met.
• To implement, monitor and document students’ performance through assessment mechanisms.
• To contribute to curriculum development, particularly to assist in the planning, updating and development of the cross-disciplinary curriculum.
• To participate in specified teaching and research/scholarly activities to fulfill academic and professional objectives.
• To participate in professional development activities, including training events, workshops, seminars and conferences, as recommended by the Program Director.
• To undertake any such other duties commensurate with the post as determined by the Program Director.
• An MA or MFA degree in UX design or related discipline
• Evidence of a minimum of three years undergraduate teaching experience
• Professional Design experience including UX Design, Interactive Design
• Ability to offer UX skills and knowledge
• Knowledge of prototyping, wireframing and mockups
• A wide-ranging knowledge of analogue and/or digital skills
• Knowledge of contemporary design practice
• Knowledge of Typography and Layout
• Experience with collaborative curriculum planning
• Experience with assessment processes and feedback mechanisms
• Demonstrated ability to work closely and compatibly with a diverse student body, faculty, staff and other colleagues
• Experience working with project-based learning
• An interest in the exploring intersections across art & design, humanities & sciences, and critical and historical studies.
• Experience working in a first-year program
• Knowledge of accreditation
• Knowledge of motion graphics design and production
• Experience developing socially engaged projects in external contexts
• Team Leader – problem solver
• Commitment to education and student centered learning
• Able to take initiative and work independently
• Composed – able to deal with unexpected tasks and situations
• Good organization skills
• Open to learning and responsive to change
• Interested in a culture of innovation
• Adaptability, openness, curiosity
• Good interpersonal skills and professionalism
• Listening skills – facilitator
Please send letter of application addressing qualifications and duties listed above, detailed curriculum vitae, statement of teaching philosophy, work sample, official Cornish Employment Application, and three current letters of reference to:
Human Resources Office, email@example.com
Application Deadline: Must be postmarked by January 1st 2018
Anticipated Start Date: August 2018
Cornish College of the Arts is an equal opportunity employer intent on enriching the diversity of its faculty, staff, and students. Our goal is to create an intercultural learning environment comprised of people with varied experiences and perspectives. We strongly encourage applications from members of underrepresented groups for all open positions.
Fine Arts Teaching Artist Assistant (Part Time) Fine Arts Teaching Artist Assistant (Part Time) The Children’s Museum of the Arts...Apply For This Job
A full-time position is available in the Education Department as the Coordinator of School and Educator Programs at the Whitney...Apply For This Job
Good Afternoon ~ Film Independent is hiring for the following position. Interested candidates should send cover letter, resume, salary history...Apply For This Job