Martha Graham Center of Contemporary Dance seeks a self-motivated and entrepreneurial professional to lead its development team. Reporting directly to the Executive Director, the Director of Development will lead the Center’s fundraising effort and is responsible for raising contributed income for the Center’s three departments: the Martha Graham Dance Company, the School, and Martha Graham Resources. The Director of Development’s primary focus will be on retaining and increasing individual gifts. Responsibilities in this area include identifying and cultivating new donors, maintaining donor relationships, developing and managing donor membership programs, directing special events, and working with the Board of Trustees to increase its members’ fundraising capacity. Secondarily, the Director will craft text for some grant applications and participate in some institutional fundraising efforts. This position will work in close partnership with the Executive Director and receive support from the Development Associate and other Center staff. The Director will interface with the Development Officer who coordinates development team schedules and activity. This group of four individuals will function as one cohesive department, dedicated to the advancement of the Graham Center.
Primary Responsibilities and Duties
• Create and maintain an annual fundraising plan and execute day-to-day initiatives
• Guide and support the Board of Trustees, Executive Director, and Artistic Director in their outreach to and cultivation of individual donors
• Cultivate current and new Board members and coordinate Board giving
• Cultivate corporate leaders and public servants, and identify and secure corporate gifts
• Create text for various materials, including grant applications, press releases, correspondence, etc.
• Help maintain existing donor relationships and develop new contacts
• Working with the Center’s marketing team, create development collateral material
• Help frame the Center’s case for funding for artistic, production, educational, and organizational projects
• Take particular responsibility for cultivating relationships with major donors and managing major donor membership programs
• With substantial support from the Development Associate, direct and realize the organization’s three major special events—the Annual Gala, Scholarship Bash & Benefit and Scholarship Luncheon
• With substantial support from the Development Associate, oversee the tracking and thank-you process for individual gifts
• With the Executive Director, maintain and identify new institutional relationships
• Keep abreast of changes in the fundraising landscape and position the organization to take advantage of new opportunities
• Building on the Martha Graham Center’s national and international reputation, seek funding from appropriate sources nationwide
• Supervise the Development Associate and any Consultants that may be engaged on a temporary basis
Requirements and Qualifications
• Minimum 8 years experience in the field of individual giving and demonstrated success in securing gifts at and beyond the $5,000 level
• Exceptional command of verbal and written English
• Excellent interpersonal and social skills
• Excellent research skills
• Demonstrated results in meeting special events goals
• Familiarity with basic principles of non-profit accounting and database management
• Ability to work as part of a team, with the recognition that members of a small staff must support each other and pitch in to help, sometimes outside of one’s area of responsibility
• Strong project management skills and an ability to motivate co-workers and volunteers
• Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree, advanced degree preferred
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office and fundraising software, Patron Manager preferred
Salary is up to $100,000 with some flexibility based on experience. Comprehensive benefits, including health insurance and 403(b) retirement account. Ideal start date is June 15, however, this position may be held for the preferred candidate.
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with the words Director of Development in the subject line.
Job Title Project Manager- Cirque Du Soleil Job Type Contract/Temporary Career Level Experienced (Non-Manager) Category Marketing Education High School or...Apply For This Job
Annual Giving & Special Events Manager Los Angeles Chamber Orchestra Los Angeles, CA Scope & Responsibilities The Annual Giving &...Apply For This Job
Jamel Gaines’ Creative Outlet Dance Theatre of Brooklyn is a world-renowned dance company dedicated to enriching our communities through artistic...Apply For This Job