Reporting to the Curator, the Director of Museum Programming shapes vision and strategy for educational programs in media and fine arts to create transformative experiences for children and their families. This position oversees the programs staff and maintains a global perspective to ensure CMA is delivering the highest quality programming. The successful candidate will foster a culture of learning in the museum that emphasizes interdisciplinary dialogue, innovative approaches to teaching and evaluation methods, creativity, and risk-taking.
This position requires a self-motivated, organized, creative problem-solver with excellent written and interpersonal communication skills, the ability to manage time and motivate people, and an aptitude for cross disciplinary thinking that embraces new art forms and media technologies. The candidate must have museum or classroom teaching experience and the ability to design programs for diverse audiences in an informative and engaging manner.
Primary Responsibilities and Duties:
• Supervise department managers (Fine Arts Manager, Media Lab Manager, Public Programs Artist, and Manager of Museum Education Programs) and the teaching artist staff for the respective departments
• Create mission-based revenue opportunities, including increasing class enrollment and developing fee-based programs
• Direct service: undertake 20-30% time allocation teaching in Media Lab and Fine Arts departments to affirm connection with staff and teaching practices
• Oversee public programs workshop calendar and work with program staff to develop curricula related to each exhibition
• Encourage and support program staff to develop innovative arts education methods and keep up to date on art-related technology
• Review and approve all class proposals, lesson plans, and curriculum
• Develop, implement, and track metrics to measure the effectiveness and outcomes of education and public programs to ensure alignment with budget and strategic goals
• Create reports and analyze metrics to provide strategic thinking on new initiatives and program growth
• Identify, develop, and execute key strategic partnerships
• Collaborate with communications department to create materials for museum website and newsletter. Work with communications department to promote museum programs
• Cultivate and maintain relationships with the arts and education community as well as, cultural institutions to promote the programs of the museum
• Liaise with local artists and arts organizations to bring in special programming
• Master’s degree in Art, Art History, Art Education, Museum Studies, or other relevant field preferred, however direct experience also recognized
• 5-7 years of experience implementing arts education programs for all ages, building effective teams, and working with professional artists as teachers (minimum of 2 years as a manager)
• Experience developing and managing budgets, implementing strategy, evaluating and supporting professional staff, providing professional growth and direction to emerging arts professionals
• Demonstrated understanding and experience in the application and use of technology to engage, communicate, educate, and attract visitors
• Ability to asses priorities and work well under pressure; excellent time management, problem solving, and analytical skills
• Demonstrated proficiency with MS Office products and an understanding of Adobe Creative Suite
• Ability to adhere to Museum policies and support management decisions in a positive, professional manner
Working Conditions: We are a motivated group of high-achieving and creative managers. Occasional weekend or evening hours are required of all staff. CMA is a fun and exciting place to work and there is room for promotion and growth.
This is a full time exempt position. Salary range is based on prior experience. CMA also offers a highly competitive benefits package.
Application Instructions / Public Contact Information
How to Apply
To apply, please send resume and cover letter with the subject “Director of Museum Programming” to HR at email@example.com
All applications will be kept in confidence. No call, please.
CMA is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage candidate from diverse cultural and ethnic backgrounds to apply.
Time period: May to August (flexible with academic year) The Theatre of Western Springs, a vibrant community theatre entering its...Apply For This Job
The Philadelphia Orchestra has distinguished itself as one of the leading orchestras in the world through over a century of...Apply For This Job
Good Afternoon ~ Film Independent is hiring for the following position. Interested candidates should send cover letter, resume, salary history...Apply For This Job