Mark DeGarmo Dance seeks strong candidates for the new position of OPERATIONS LEAD. The Operations Lead will be a high-responsibility role for a high-level dance-knowledgeable individual with strong management skills, who could stand in for Founding Executive & Artistic Director Mark DeGarmo in instances where he is out of the country, at a board meeting, at meetings with Principals of the schools that are our partners, and other high-stakes situations.
Mark DeGarmo Dance is a not-for-profit interdisciplinary dance organization founded in 1987 as Dynamic Forms, Inc. and celebrating its 30th Anniversary in 2017. Our three-part mission includes Education, Performance, and Intercultural Community. Our vision is to Enliven Bodies, Change Perspectives, and Change Lives. In 2017, Johns Hopkins University’s research study, about to be published in Teaching and Teacher Education Review, concluded that ours is an “evidence-based” educational program with “statistically significant” increases in our students’ state reading tests. Other program outcomes include improving students’ writing, behavior, self-expression and self-confidence.
Our education programs are grounded in educational equity and target NYC PreK-5 public school students and multicultural communities under-served in education and dance arts. The organization annually serves up to 1,000 students and 200 classroom teachers in six Title 1 public schools in Manhattan (East Village, Lower East Side, and Washington Heights) and Brooklyn (Bed-Stuy, Clinton Hill, and Williamsburg) and over 20,000 individuals annually across all programs. We have also produced over 100 dances and 28 international tours involving cultural diplomacy and exchange with 12 countries including Latin America, Europe and Russia and have new performance projects pending.
We seek to integrate a new position of Operations Lead into our organization’s small team. Responsibilities include running and helping grow our nonprofit. The position reports to the Founder, Executive & Artistic Director.
· Run our office.
· Run our activities in the schools and in the community.
· Maintain schedules, timelines, and deadlines of our educational and artistic programs, board and community meetings, some funder meetings and deadlines (coordinating with our Development Officer).
· Grow and promote Mark DeGarmo Dance via social media, marketing and sales. (We have LOTS of growth opportunities we need YOU to help us take advantage of.)
· Coordinate volunteers and run events such as our in-school dance-sharing events with children, parents, teachers, and community, and our annual Dance for Dance FUNdraiser and cultivation events.
· Support the bookkeeper in maintaining clear and accurate records.
· Co-write with staff, board, consultants, and friends, reports synthesizing our three-tiered mission, for various audiences.
· Work closely with Mark DeGarmo to support his and Mark DeGarmo Dance’s vision, mission, core values, programs, roles, responsibilities, and dreams for our kids and our community
· Dance/dance education background.
· Strong ethical core to always support best non-profit management practices, to support the kids and the community, and to support what we all can do to make New York City’s dance/arts/education world a healthy, happy, cohesive place where everyone can thrive.
· Strategic Thinking/Decision Making. (We don’t want to SOLVE problems; we want to foresee and prevent them.)
· Plan/Analyze/Manage multiple projects simultaneously. (We have a lot of exciting projects, prospects, sometimes challenges, in the works)
· Collaborative, congenial, fun spirit, to join with the 100s of supporters of all ages, educational, economic, ethnic, and cultural backgrounds who have so generously and enthusiastically supported our work over the past 30 years of our continuing evolution.
· Thorough/Detailed/Organized. (If YOU take care of the details that pertain to your roles and responsibilities, then everybody else can take care of THEIRS.)
· Outstanding Work Ethic/Takes initiative.
· Maintains calm and focus and an open spirit when it seems as if a lot of things are happening at once.
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills for writing to and speaking with greatly diverse, in many senses, colleagues, patrons, clients, students, and others.
· High level of ability to put yourself in the shoes of the other person, to make sure all points of view are heard and all needs are met.
· Ability to lift up to 20 lbs. (We’re required to ask this, as you might have to assist with archiving, moving chairs or sound equipment for activities with our children, etc.)
· Four-year degree from a higher education institution, with a background, if not a specialization, in dance. (Arts Management, Marketing, Financial Management are important related skills.)
· Two to five years professional experience in a similar position.
· Social media, marketing and sales expertise in an applied (non-theoretical) situation.
· Familiarity with how the NYC Department of Education works will be a big plus.
· Fluent in MS Office suite (Access, Excel, Word, and PowerPoint).
· Written and spoken Spanish a plus, as this reflects our schools and our international work.
Low to to mid-40s, fulltime, year-round permanent, non-exempt. Health benefits, paid vacation and holidays, and MULTIPLE professional development opportunities.
Candidates should email a personalized cover letter, telling Mark DeGarmo and his team why YOU are applying for THIS position, at THIS time, + résumé (content more important than format), to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be accepted and reviewed until the position is filled.
MARK DEGARMO DANCE IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, national origin, marital status, religion, gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, personal appearance, family responsibilities, political affiliation, or enrollment in a college, university, technical school, or adult education.
All inquiries are kept confidential.
Tagged as: operations
Jamel Gaines’ Creative Outlet Dance Theatre of Brooklyn is a world-renowned dance company dedicated to enriching our communities through artistic...Apply For This Job
This is a full-time position that provides managerial, administrative and clerical support to the Manager of Artists and Attractions. Essential...Apply For This Job
Volunteer and Development Coordinator POSITION TITLE: Volunteer and Development Coordinator REPORTS TO: Special Events and Volunteer Manager STATUS: Full Time,...Apply For This Job
OVERVIEW Lincoln Center for the Performing Arts (LCPA) serves three primary roles: presenter of artistic programming, national leader in arts...Apply For This Job
Good Afternoon ~ Film Independent is hiring for the following position. Interested candidates should send cover letter, resume, salary history...Apply For This Job