The Membership Assistant for Onsite Sales and Service is the primary point of contact for members and visitors as they interact with the Membership Department. Primary responsibilities are selling, renewing, and upgrading Museum memberships, and assisting members with all aspects of their membership benefits.
The Assistant will have a comprehensive knowledge of Membership levels and benefits and be able to fluidly articulate the advantages of becoming a member. Assistants are active champions of the Museum and proactively engage potential members. Membership Assistants are responsible for accommodating Member requests and concerns by providing concierge-level services for all aspects of a Member’s visit.
Primary Responsibilities and Duties:
• Create warm and welcoming presence for Museum members and visitors
• Be a single point of contact for members, providing information about programs and services in person, by email and phone in all aspects of the Museum including exhibitions and programmatic offerings.
• Actively sell and renew Museum memberships, at the lobby desks, in the Membership lounges, and throughout the Museum in a mobile roaming capacity.
• Meet individual and team sales and revenue goals.
• Proactively engage with visitors in all areas of the building and forge connections between visitors and the organization.
• Proactively engage with members to promote the value of membership.
• Respond to member concerns, take initiative in situations requiring problem solving and take the steps necessary to ensure that problems have been resolved or escalated as appropriate.
• Maintain cash controls and PCI compliance according to departmental and Museum standards
• Ensure proper data security practices to safeguard the personal information of Museum members and donors.
• Other related duties.
Requirements and Qualifications:
Experience and Skills:
• Must have a minimum of one year of related experience in a ticketing, admissions, or retail environment, with at least one year of cash handling experience
• Excellent interpersonal communication, both written and verbal
• Ability to work a variable schedule including weekends and holidays is required.
• Must enjoy customer service and possess the ability to be professional and courteous in stressful situations
• Must be able to work independently and exercise good judgment
Knowledge and Education:
• College degree preferred
• Fluency in one or more foreign languages preferred
• Knowledge of Microsoft Office
• Familiarity with point of sale systems and PledgeMaker (or similar fundraising databases) preferred
The Metropolitan Museum of Art provides equal opportunity to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, age, mental or physical disability, pregnancy, alienage or citizenship status, marital status or domestic partner status, genetic information, genetic predisposition or carrier status, gender identity, HIV status, military status and any other category protected by law in all employment decisions, including but not limited to recruitment, hiring, compensation, training and apprenticeship, promotion, upgrading, demotion, downgrading, transfer, lay-off and termination, and all other terms and conditions of employment. AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and national service alumni encouraged to apply.
Application Instructions / Public Contact Information
Please send cover letter, resume, and salary history to email@example.com with “Membership Assistant for Onsite Sales and Service” in the subject line.