We have an exciting opportunity for a Senior Public Relations Specialist to assist with the strategy, planning and execution of all aspects of publicity. In this key role, you will expand press outreach to media sectors beyond arts and music, with a focus on print and online press coverage through a variety of sources. Additionally, you will write and edit press materials, assist with photography and video, and develop key relationships with local and national television media. Bring your professionalism, initiative and multi-tasking skills to a premier non-profit arts organization.
- Develop and maintain relationships with members of the newspaper, radio, television and web media for story development. Work closely with conductors, guest performers and BSO orchestra and staff to develop story angles to pitch to journalists at local and national media outlets.
- Develop and implement short and long-term strategies for expanded coverage of activities in the online press sector and in non-arts/cultural media sectors including travel, education, business, social and lifestyle.
- Develop strategies to reestablish regular seasonal coverage in Gatehouse Newspapers, Hartford Courant, Albany Times Union and Springfield Republican, including in travel, lifestyle arts and entertainment sections.
- Develop key relationships with travel and visitor bureaus in Boston, the Berkshires and tour cities leveraging promotional opportunities and press visits for coverage of BSO and Pops activities.
- Develop and expand the network of contacts for major online media sites that cover and pitch stories related to the orchestra’s many activities.
- Work closely with public relations and marketing colleagues to generate new ideas for social media, blog posts and online sites; create and edit weekly video posts for social media platforms. Work with artist publicists and managers, request/encourage artists to highlight their BSO activities on their social media sites.
- Work with public relations staff to publicize Pops tour concerts: generate story ideas, place stories in print, radio and television media, arrange interviews and service all press requests. Act as press representative for Pops tours as needed. Generate and oversee all press coverage for each concert, including scheduling interviews for Boston Pops Conductor Keith Lockhart.
- Manage office budget and forecast future expenses, recommend changes that coincide with the regular changes and updates involved in the budgetary profile. Process invoices, track office spending, and reconcile press office record with monthly financial reports.
- Write, edit and format press materials with emphasis on press releases, press calls and pitch letters, as well as update fact sheets and histories.
- Meet with press office colleagues weekly to develop story ideas and track stories already in process.
- Manage office’s press ticket system, oversee ticket requests for BSO, Pops and Tanglewood events; oversee and coordinate Tanglewood parking and season pass system for all visiting press.
- Manage supervision of television news crews during all BSO-related events.
Qualifications: BS/BA degree with concentration in journalism, English or public relations preferred; music background helpful. Five to seven years prior work experience required, preferably in a public relations setting. Excellent writing/typing skills and word-processing and social media proficiency required. Flexibility to work overtime and weekends when needed. Basic photography/video skills important. Music background preferred. This position requires relocation to Tanglewood from late June through Labor Day. Weekend work required during Tanglewood season.